You may have heard of oil pulling if you’ve been following some of the latest wellness trends, but it’s actually an old Ayurvedic practice and remedy for naturally keeping your teeth clean, and detoxifying your teeth and gums.
It’s a beauty ritual we love because we can devote 20 minutes of silence a day (silence & detox bonus!) and it leaves your mouth squeaky clean.
What exactly is it?
Simply put, oil pulling is swishing oil (usually coconut, but you can also use sunflower or sesame) for around 20 minutes in your mouth. That’s it.
What does it do for me?
- Detoxify and clean. Oil pulling detoxifies your body by removing the plaque and bacteria in your mouth (ew!) improving your breath naturally.
- Improves skin. Bacteria and infection can often enter your body through your mouth, leading to skin issues, hormonal imbalances, liver problems, etc. One of the first effects of detox is usually a clearer, more radiant complexion.
- Whiter teeth. Want whiter teeth without bleaching or chemicals? Again, oil pulling to remove plaque and bacteria should help. Speed up the process for visibly whiter teeth in 30 minutes with this botanical teeth whitening pen.
Okay, how do I do this?
- Take 1-2 teaspoons of either coconut, sesame or sunflower oil and place it in your mouth. Don’t like the taste of these? Try this morning mint oil pulling pack. It contains a proprietary blend of organic cold pressed coconut, lemon, chamomile, myrrh, peppermint and spearmint oils.
- Aim to swish around your mouth for at least 20 minutes. The first time may be tough to get to 20, so just aim to do as long as you can.
- Make sure to dispose of the oil in your trash rather than in your bathroom sink, as just like cooking oils, it may clog.
- Rinse and brush your teeth normally. We like Humble Brush, which is vegan-certified and made from 100% biodegradable bamboo. Each purchase also helps support children in need.
Give oil pulling a try and let us know what you think! Leave a comment with your experience here, or contact us.